We will begin with basic elements, answering the question: ‘How can we create a first campaign on Facebook?’
So, we have created the business page, we have the Business Manager account, the only thing that remain undone for the moment are the ads. From Business Manager, we select Create and Manage, and then we choose the Manager Ads option, from the left side. In the opened window (if we manage more than one Facebook page), we choose the name of the page for which we want to create the ads. This being said, select Create ad from the top right of the page in Manager.
Et voila! You’ll be guided through a channel for creating the campaign (as you see the below image). All you must know is to select the right options and to introduce some details and copy them.
Step one: select the objective of your campaign
The first selection that you must do is choose the right objective for the campaign you want to create. In the above image, we see that we have an entire list of Facebook objectives available in the Manager ad:
- Brand awareness: the objective of this option is to let people know about the company. This option helps you generate more traffic on your business web site.
- Reach: the objective of this option is to repeatedly reach the maximum number of the people you target in a short period of time. It is a good choice when we have to promote special offers in a limited time or when we create remarketing ads. Using this objective, Facebook will optimize the ads in such way to achieve the maximum number of possible displays of the ads, without taking in consideration the actions and the clicks made by the users when they see it.
- Traffic: we select this objective when our goal is to lead the users on the company’s web site or take them on our blog and when we don’t want them to perform specific actions like purchasing a product, sign up to newsletter etc.
- Engagement: we select this objective when we want to set up campaigns from which we want to receive feedback (reactions at events, page likes, etc)
- App install: when we want our users to download one of the business app, the ads of this type are one of the best way to do it.
- Video views: this option is used in order to redirect the cold target audience and for a first interaction with the company. It’s good to know that we can also promote videos using other objectives like Conversions or Lead Generation.
- Lead generation: we select this option when we want a deep engage, for example: in exchange for a downloadable content to take contact date like name age etc. Without sending users to the contact form of our web site, a lead form will collect information like name, emails, phone numbers and others.
- Messages: this represents the newest objective introduced by Facebook, being more optimized, encouraging the audience you gathered to begin a conversation with your business.
- Conversions: it’s one of the most used objective of Facebook, because it’s optimized to help realize conversions (to sale products/services, to sign up on the web site page, etc). The goal of conversions ads is to increase sales, registered users, the purchases or others actions made by a user on the site.
- Catalog sale: this objective is designed for the businesses, which have lot of products and must frequently update their catalogs. We can use it even when we create remarketing campaigns.
- Store visits: if you want to make traffic on your physical store you must use this objective. In this way you can reach all the people around the store, just like the physical ads (banner, flyer etc). More than that, this kind of ads offer more information.
After choosing the campaign objective, we name it after this criteria, for a better management in case we will have another future campaigns.
Step 2: Choosing the audience
We have two options here:
- Create a new Facebook audience
- Using an existing audience
Also, from Custom Audience we can select the audience already created in Business Manager.
Important! From Custom Audience we can’t create new personalized custom audience when we create the campaign. First it must be created in Business Manager.
The final result of the campaign depends a lot in reaching the right audience.
Step 3: Placements ads
The ads can appear everywhere on Facebook, from news feed (desktop and mobile), to marketplace, in the right column, on stories even on Instagram (see the below image). In choosing the placements where the ads shows, Facebook has two options:
- Automatic placements (letting Facebook choose the best and the effective way)
- Edit placements (we choose the best page positions for our ads)
Step 4: Setting the budget
This is the most crucial step in creating a campaign, being influenced by several factors (the objective, the number of ads, etc). Also Facebook provides us with two options:
- Daily budget: we communicate Facebook how much we want to spend in a day for showing the ads.
- Lifetime budget: represents how much we want to spend for a certain period of time, and it’s established at campaign level.
Step 5: Setting the ads
It’s the last step and this is where we finish the Facebook ads. We have various options in the format of showing the ad (single image, carousel images, etc) Also we can preview how the ads are displayed on different devices, adding descriptions and attach the URLs to the website.
At the end we must not forget to set the Facebook Pixel, which registers and gathers data.
Those are the most important steps in creating an Facebook ad. Success!